Imagine, you’ve experienced neglect, abuse, or maybe both, and now you’re being shuffled from home to home, with only a trash bag or two to carry your things. How would that make you feel?
Giving children in the foster care system trash bags to carry what little belongings they have seems almost inhumane; expecting emotionally disturbed children to carry their things in the same item that garbage goes into is upsetting. Sure, giving trash bags to these foster children may be easier and more economical, but it doesn’t’ seem ethical. It emits a message to the child that they are unvalued and worthless – which the child may already feel from being stripped away from their family, friends, and home.
Thankfully, Together We Rise has vowed to make a stand and do something about this troubling experience in the foster care system. These precious children can receive a duffel bag packed with a cute pillow pet, soft blanket, fun coloring books, crayons, a hygiene kit, and more. For every $25 donated toward Sweet Cases Fundraising, Together We Rise is able to provide all of these goodies for one child!
Let’s show these kids that they are not trash. Let’s show them that they’re sweet, special, worthy, human.
To donate, click here. 🙂
- There is currently over 400,000 children in the foster care system in the U.S.
- 22,500 will die before the age of 15
- 2/3 foster kids will go homeless, die, or go to jail within one year of leaving the foster care system at 18
- Girls in foster care are six times more likely to give birth before the age of 21
- 1,200 children enter foster care everyday
- When most children enter the foster care system, they receive two trash bags to transport their belongings
While supplying some of these kiddos with a duffel bag of goodies may not seem like much, I am sure every child that receives a Sweet Case is ecstatic and feels valued and thought of.
Thank you for your support! 🙂